Thread: Injured Player
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

refdaddy

thank you for that comment -- that is the exact mentality i would like from the venting i am doing about the officials i have had. all i ask of my players and myself is 100% if a player gives me any less hes on the bench -- if i see an official dogging it unfortunatly i cannot sub him out -- but all i want to hear is a, coach I might have missed that -- ive said that to coaches and players and the real good ones know how the system works and acknowledges that i screwed up and we move on -- its the a$$es that make a big deal about it and i T them up.

in 7 years of officiating i think i have given out maybe 5 techs in games that matter (non adult rec league). I strive to defuse situations with coaches and players and if the moment gets heated sometimes i have had short arguments about what I saw versus what a coach saw but only one time i t'd a coach up because he crossed the line. in rec league games however i could very well have a t every half but i dont care because im not paid to babysit and listen to all their NBA whining.

if coaches ask me repectfully i will answer questions all game if i have to (without slowing down the game), because IMO many coaches too need help below the varsity level (and even some at the varsity level) understanding the rules and the little nuances that unless they read and study the rulebook they will never know or get. Then again im also the ref that talks to the fans and jokes with the kids and the score table because i want to enjoy the games that i do and if im not reffing and smiling then its not worth it to me. you can think what you want about how i handle games but im the first to admit fault to a coach/partner/player and there are plenty other refs that know the rulebook way better than i ever will -- but in all my games ive never had an (non-rec league) ejection / cluster-f#$% / or anything that ended with a "what the hell just happened".