View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: what level game was this

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
...this year as a coach (me) for a boys freshman team i can honestly say for the most part freshman officials are the worst (that's why they are freshman officials).

There is also a reason coaches are coaching high school freshmen and not varsity or college ball.
I too coach at the JV level and this year has been an experience for me. I officiated for the last 8 years at the varsity level, now coaching at the JV level I see a huge differnece in the quality of officials. It's just a fact of life. The JV officials in our area go from a good 2 man crew one night to 3 man the next night that is awful. I posted last week about one official (he obviously didnt know that I used to be an official) who told me of this new kicking rule. I knew he was wrong, I hope he knew he was wrong. Last nights game had to be the worst. What really makes things look bad on those guys (and I do feel bad for them) is when they arent in position to make calls. Ex: last night the lead was beaten badly, didnt make it to free throw line, he and Center were step for step chasing the play. It was an easy call, blatent hacking foul. Center was right in front of me and made no call, Lead was directly across court made no call. I question the Center and he says its not my call. Okay but why was Lead not down the floor(I didnt ask). Three possesion later, the same guy made a call from the center posion (now on opposite side of my bench)in the far corner next to my bench with the Lead 2 feet away saying clean block and the the trail about 20 ft. away giving the tipped ball signal. Thats what looks bad. I dont think the new guys understand primary/secondary. It's bad here on this level, it's very frustrating but its how it is. Hopefully they will gain experience and somewhere along the line get the proper guidance.