View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
This is a lot easier to demonstrate than describe, but, just to focus on the matter of taking 2 steps, which is not legal, what's generally happening is that the player is picking the ball up ON THE BACK FOOT, then stepping on to the front foot, then jumping off that foot on to a two footed landing. Violation.

This happens at full speed, of course. Sometimes I see it in a kind of gestalt way - just see the whole move and recognize it's non-standard nature, and sometimes - when I anticipate that the player will be making the move - I look specifically for the timing of when the ball is picked up.
Yes, it's much more difficult to describe than it is to demonstrate, but you did a pretty good job of it. Thanks.

You make a good point, in that if the ball is picked up later than it typically is on a layup type of shot attempt, then it could be legal. (I.e., one step then the jumpstop launch.)

It sounds like what you're saying is that if it looks like obvious traveling, it probably is. Thanks for your input.