View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
What can you really do?

Had a partner in a rivalry game, wanted to establish himself early. We pregamed primary responsibilities, how to handle coaches, etc. 1st quarter, Reaches from L in front of Team A bench to call a carry just across halfcourt opposite the table (yes, in my primary). I don't say a word, just turn in the opposite direction. Ensuing play, A1 does the exact same thing in front of Team B bench, no whistle. Now my eyes are wide also, because he lets the play continue and they score. Coach B is livid, and rides him mercilessly. When I get a chance, about two minutes later, I try to settle Coach B down. He then proceeds to make another 'reach' call in my area. Next timeout, I step to him, turn my back to the bench, and 'politely' tell him to mind his own area, stop ball-hawking. At halftime we have another pregame, this time I'm more forceful. Midway through the third quarter, he says, "Hey, if we can move this game along, I can get out of here in time to see my daughters play!" He proceeds to swallow his whistle for the remainder of the game. At one point I just throw my hands up, then I have to call everything for the rest of the game to keep it from spinning out of control. I stayed in my primary, for the most part, but fortunately most of the action would come into my primary area. Asked assignor to never partner me with this official again.