View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

2-36 Obstruction is the act of the defensive team member that... impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is fielding a batted ball. ([SC Ump Note] I think "about to receive a thrown ball" was removed last year.)

8-4-3 A runner is entitled to advance without liability to be put out when:
(b) a fielder not in possession of the ball, not in the act of fielding a batted ball, or not about to receive a thrown ball, impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases. ([SC Ump Note] Should "about to receive a thrown ball" be here?)

That being said, what would you rule on the following:

R1 at second with no outs. B2 hits to right field. F9 throws home, but errant throw causes F2 to move up the line towards third and into the path of R1.
> In (a) R1 collides with F2 as F2 is moving to catch the ball. At the time of collision, the ball is 2 feet from F2.
> In (b) the ball arrives just at the time R1 and F2 collide, the ball hits F2's glove, but there is not time for you to see control before the collision. After the collision you see F2 has control.
> In (c) F2 catches the ball prior to any collision, but R1 decides to avoid F2 and moves around her. F2 did not have the ball at the time R1 deviated from her path to move around her.

This came up in our pre-season meeting today, and some folks who I have a lot of respect for disagreed with me. (I thought obstruction in all cases above. I think they thought "train wreck".)