Thread: Rough play
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
Hey guys had a 7th grade boys game.
That is all I needed to read. Stop giving coaches at this level more credit than they deserve. If they were that good of a coach or that advanced as a coach, they usually would not even be coaching these kids. Of course there are exceptions, but I can only think of one varsity coach that at the same time coached the varsity while he was coaching the local JH team.

Everyone is learning and coaches are learning just as the officials are. Do not expect them to understand what your role is as an official or to expect them to understand the rules any better than HS or college coaches. Our state rules meetings require high school representatives to attend meetings about the new rules. Junior High coaches do not fall under the same requirement. I did a JH game right before the season and the JH coaches did not even know there was a new team control foul rule. So you have to approach these games with an understanding that much of the yelling is not very educated.

Fozzy, you did fine. Just do not expect that these coaches are going to have a major understanding of the game, the players or what you do as an official. You just want to hustle, do the best you can and that is all most officials should expect.

Peace