Thread: Backcourt
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
2. Last touched if front court by player of team with team control.
2. First touched in back court by player of team with team control.
These are not really correct, Tim. You can have a backcourt violation without anyone touching the ball in the frontcourt. You can also have a backcourt violation without anyone touching the ball in the backcourt.

It's not where you touch the ball; it's when you touch it. The components of a backcourt violation are actually:

1) Team Control;
2) Ball gains frontcourt status;
3) Team A is last to touch ball before it gains backcourt status;
4) Team A is first to touch ball after it gains backcourt status.
I think this is an admirably concise expression of the requirements of 9-9, with one exception that I raise only because I hope NevadaRef, if he agrees, and will put it on his list for the Rules Committee.

Say the ball is being passed among teammates (A1 & A2) in the frontcourt and is batted in the air into the airspace over the backcourt, where A3, standing in the backcourt, catches it. At the instant A3 catches it, the ball has front court status; then, simultaneously in a rules sense, it attains backcourt status.

I am not suggesting that we ought call this backcourt, only that either in 9-9, or elsewhere, in a more general sense if in fact the principle holds, a protocol for treating this kind of simultaneous event should be expressed.