View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Are you reading physics books after having a too many beers again?

The height of a bounce is relative to the height of where it started. The matter of how high is bounces for girls as compared to boys is irrelavant since the bounce is directly proportional to the height from which it is dropped/dribbled...the player's height...which will be shorter for most girls. It all just works out.

Also, I don't know what balls you're having trouble getting air out of since I've never had trouble doing so....insert needle and whoosh, it's doing it all by itself (unless you're trying to make a pancake).
Good point! True enough (for a theoretical ball!).

But the height of rebound when the ball is pushed to the floor is proportional to both the acceleration of gravity component and the player-push component, is it not? While girls, as a class, are not as muscular as boys, when they push hard on the ball you can see the effect I am alluding to. Perhaps, as a class, they are less proportionally stronger than proportionally shorter. Now the ball is coming up faster and they are closer to it.

Also, now that I think about it, perhaps the impedance match of the collision - ball on floor - creates a non-linear factor in how the ball rebounds. The more fully it's pumped, the less lossy the collision is.

In any case, I'm surprised and interested that others don't think there's a problem.