View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Happy Saturday all,

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. In any case, I have another question I want to ask to see what people think.

As with most of the refs here, I ref my share of high school, youth/CYO, and adult rec league basketball.

My question is do the refs work their other NON-HIGH SCHOOL games like they were a high school? Or do they make allowances for the fact that there are youth or older adults playing?

THe reason I ask is because I've had a couple situations that occured during adult leagues/tournaments. One was a real tough backcourt violation call during a championship game in a tournament. THe woman with the ball may have "BARELY" grazed the halfcourt line and it ultimately cost their team the game.

The other was calling a violation for a player going out of bounds without the ball this past week.

I was given an earful on the first situation by the referee who had organized all of us to work the tournament last summer.

Basically, after talking to a few officials, I've been basically told that these adults pay to play and that they should be allowed to "play through things" and not call ticky-tack stuff.

Obviously, even though I've worked adult leagues before, my high school training has been kicking in and I am having a tough time continually switching gears.

Any comments?