Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by remofire
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by remofire
Does the offensive player HAVE to be able to avoid the defender in order to get a charging call?
I don't really understand your question, if a defensive player is standing still and an offensive player runs towards him, he has no way to avoid it right before contact occurs and it will be a charge call.
Can a player be too close as to cause an official to say that the offensive player could not avoid the collision, therefore whether the defender is stationary or not, it is blocking.
The dribbler must stop or change direction to avoid contact if the defensive player has obtained a legal guarding position. It would be a block if the dribbler got head and shoulders by the defense and the defender is moving when contact occurs. Like when a player is dribbling down the sideline and gets his head/shoudlers by the dribbler, it would then be a block.

But if the player becomes an airborne shooter the defender must be in his spot before the dribbler becomes airborne.

I think that's pretty much the basic idea, its complicated and I'm sure someone around here will give some more info.