Thread: Is this kosher?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Not my game, but one of our most senior officials had this last Tuesday. Two Class D schools (smallest class in Michigan). Home team is VERY rural, real Hicktown (great burger joint, tho!). Visitors have star player, who is black (only black kid on either team). Star player and known troublemaker on home team is in his face all first quarter. Retailiation comes from visiting kid middle of second quarter, gets 2 quick Ts, DQd. The visiting coach is overheard by one ref saying, "continue to foul, I don't care if we run out of kids." They oblige. Hard fouls ensue, crowd grows very rowdy. Visitors down to 3 kids. Score is 71-14 when refs call the game (home team is winning). Not a forfeit, just decided the game needed to end with approximately 3 minutes to go. Is this kosher? And, under what circumstances can we declare a forfeit? Can a forfeit be called AFTER a game has started?

[Edited by lmeadski on Jan 26th, 2006 at 10:03 PM]
"Hard fouls ensue"...after the coach told the kids to continue fouling?
That sounds like a travesty of the game to me, or any reasonable person...FORFEIT kosher.
(Also a letter to the State explaining the circumstances)

NOTE: I gotta tell ya...if I heard a coach say that in a game I am "managing"...we are going to have a little heart to heart conversation.
Richland, WA