View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

I for one think that people who want to turn this forum into something other than what it is ought to either bring it up with the citizenry themselves and make their own case, or find a place that's more to their liking. If their opinion really has legs, then they should be able, with some effort, to convince most of the rest of us to fall in line. If it doesn't, then it will fall on understanding, but unsympathetic, deaf ears.

I didn't take up officiating because I wanted to spend all my free time studying rules and discussing mechanics. I got into it because I enjoy the challenge and the people. Take the people out of the equation, and I, for one, will find a new hobby.

In much the same way I value this forum for both its officiating focus and for its personalities. I refer new people here frequently. And the one piece of advice I give each of them is to hang out and get to know who the people are. That allows them to make informed judgements about how to value other's contributions.

I realize that this board is private property, and that we have moderators and rules for a good reason. And I wouldn't want it any other way (I had a lengthy chat with Barry Mano a couple years back about how to improve Referee's board, and the bottom line for me was that it needed to be a lot more like this one). The real value in this forum is it's community. And the community ought to have a fair amount of say in how it operates; One "esteemed" member having a private conversation with a moderator should not be given undo deference.

Bob, I realize that you're making a polite request, not issuing a mandate. I appreciate that. And I appreciate that you're working to improve the experience for everybody. But I disagree wholeheartedly with the point of view of the unnamed "esteemed" member. I wouldn't want a lot more noise than we currently have. But I genuinely enjoy what we have currently.

Regards,
Ray Cox
Citizen of this community
Willing to be a named, if not entirely esteemed, member.

[Edited by back in the saddle on Jan 27th, 2006 at 01:16 AM]