Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by NSump
Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
ok thanks guys. i just wanted some opinions. i was leaning toward letting it go anyways.
Hold on here. DON'T just let it go. It needs to be addressed. I suggest what Rich said.

The key is to ensure that the coach and EVERYBODY else knows you heard it and that any more bull**** like that will lead to an ejection.

The biggest problem with game management is that we fail to manage it early. Then, once we finally do, its too late.

Blaine
I disagree.

The biggest problem is that we fail to know when it needs managing and when it does not. Some games need NO management whatsoever, and many feel that they have to insert theirselves into the contest anyway.

Sometimes, responding to every comment shows the coach how thin skinned you really are. You have shown him how to get to you. Your playing right into his hand.

We are there to officiate a contest first. If somewhere along the line it requires a little managment, (late or early) then knowing when that point is and how to be effective, is the key.

Granted, at some point the coach will be given a warning that he may not be able to get back across the fence he is climbing, if he continues. But, there is no need to use this for every comment made.

I had a coach once tell me "thats two pitches you missed today blue." To which I replied, "and if that is all I miss for this game coach, then consider it a job well done."

Ignoring bench jockying is an invitation for escalation. Sometimes all that is needed is a stern look, or a quiet comment that you heard him. Other times, like in the original scenario, a warning is needed. But you can't just let it go. Too often, that is the reason they can't climb down off that fence. And ugly games never turn pretty again.

Mike