Thread: Rollie's Latest
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Well Tim, if we are talking purely hypothetically then there really is nothing that says that one umpire sees is correct. And if we talked about it in theory, or hypothetically, then we really have no where to go.

However in practice, there are times when we know that we, as the other umpire have seen something that our partner has not. Two examples illustrate this. The swipe tag call on NCAA Video Bulletin #6 and the A-Rod interference play in the playoffs a couple of years ago. In both of these instances, the PU was doing his job and trailing the play, looking exactly where he is supposed to be and he sees either a swipe tag (NCAA) or interference (A-Rod). In both instances, the PU saw information that the BU, by the way the play developed, could not see.

The PU in both cases, correctly viewed the play and had the right call, unlike his partner. It should be noted that in both instances, replay clearly shows the information that the PU has is correct.

So the question remains, what do you as the PU do with the information you have, particularly if your partner doesn't come to you for help and/or if a firestorm is starting to erupt.

Good question.

I don't know of any firm "protocol". First, let's think about how many calls you have booted and "left on the table." On those calls, if nobody is racing out to argue, then why would you even ask your partner? For me, in my new liberal view of getting help, here are what I need to trigger my asking.

1. Was ther something unusual htat my positioning may not be enough (bad throw, swipe tag, pulled foot).

2. Multiple people react immediately like I blew it. Usually if a bunch of people react then you may have booted it. If it is just the runner/fielder I don't put much thought into the arguement.

3. The coach/manager has come out to discuss and has kept his head on. What I mean, is if the manager comes out spitting venom, my first job is to shut him up and get him the hell off the field. If he comes out and calmly asks me how the hell I could have missed that and I have the other two, then I will go ask.

So, to recap, I need an unusual play, multiple people screaming that I am an idiot and the manager to come out and question my eyesight.

Hope this helps.

Blaine