View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Thumbs up

"The protest (and it was a protest, not an appeal) was a good opportuntity to re-establish control. You were right to ask what he was protesting. As soon as he indicated it was judgment, you should have given him hell. Told him something like, "Denied. You know that's not protestable. And if you try any more of this crap, I'll toss you like he should have. Now get back in the dugout and don't let me here another peep out of you".

Great Mike! ...I sure would love to be at a game where you are the Umpire and something of that nature took place. There were some good comments given by others, but you clearly gave the best answer to that difficult situation. You would have hung him with his own rope! You would have let the coach see his own folly and the reminded him of the results that will come if that folly doesn't stop immediately. Plus you would taken some of the downside of your partners slow and weak call by making the coach look like the rookie for trying to protest a game on a judgment call, even if it wasn't a thing of beauty.