View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

this can be handled in pregame

Quote:
Originally posted by CaliOne
Pre-game with your partner regarding coverage areas (eg., primary, secondary coverage, also the situation where shooter originates in your area, driving to the basket). Every partner is different, every game is different. I try to cover common situations in my pre-game, so we are on the same page. Also, be patient on your whistle. I like taking heat when the crowd or coaches complain over a late call. Better late, than not at all sometimes. Remember, you haven't done your job until the entire home crowd boos you at the same time, loud! Ha Ha.
But the execution of it is the issue. We have discussed whose responsibility is what in previous conversations in pregames. however, when it comes down to the game and a fluid situation, you must rely on your reffing instincts (which includes learned mechanics and coverage responsibilities) to take over. I followed the play in both times. He must feel (based on his responses) that either I am embarrassing him by making the call, or, that I should not be following that play into the lane. My training and instincts tell me to follow the play into the lane. He does not concur. Looking for clarification.