View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BTW: The good news is that a newly built field will need to constructed to a higher standard, thus creating a higher construction cost which, I hope, will lead to higher cost to play and ultimately higher level of competition. So in a nut shell, it my opinion that you should not get excited about this.
[/B]
It makes sense that it only applies to future use. Still, perception can hurt. If they pass this law, existing fields will still hear complaints from neighbors.

New developments in my area often come with a requirement for field construction. To pursue this now, I guess a developer will have to buy land away from the development where he is building, and away from all existing developments. Good luck finding that in NJ.

If higher standards lead to higher construction costs which lead to higher levels of competition, it would be because fewer kids could afford to play. If the numbers stay the same, simply putting the kids on more expensive fields will not make them better ball players. And if costs go up there will be moves to reduce costs in other areas. Who do you think will be the first to sacrifice? I'll bet all that money they spend on umpires will look tempting.

Mike