View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
eastdavis,

Good question, and as you can see, we all have our opinions. I've seen a LOT of youth ball at all levels around here (Portland, Oregon) and I see some of the NBA-style of reffing in some youth leagues, especially at the AAU and "travel team" types of tourneys. Many of these refs do get their instruction from television, and do things the NBA way. Some of them do "crossover" reffing and will also work with the NFHS associations and do "school" ball. In the lower level rec leagues, generally this kind of physical play is not allowed, and when there get to be disagreements about it, the NBA style stuff gets squashed by the board of directors. Kids that want that (or parents that want that for their kids) go find another league.
Personally, I think that allowing kids under high school level to play this way does them a disservice. Once they get into high school, they won't be nearly as skilled at the kinds of finesse moves they'll need, and generally speaking, they mostly won't understand the problem and won't be able to adjust. Even at the top level of college, "backing down" an opponent is frowned on. So why let kids get away with it when they're 12? It just seems silly.