View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Tim -

Thanks for the list on your webpage. One question, though. The page says:

quote:
From Tim's webpage of rules misconceptions:
Block/Charge. Many people think that a guard has to allow a dribbler a step or two, or be planted like a tree to draw a charge. Many times I call a charge, the coach jumps up and says, "He was moving, ref!" I say, "Yeah, I know. You and I saw the same thing." See Rule 4 in the Federation Rulebook under guarding for an explanation on this one. My point is, you can be moving and take a charge. A defensive player must establish his position by having both feet on the floor and facing the opponent. Once that is established, he can move backwards, sideways, or at an angle, jump strait up, or duck and take a charge. He cannot move forward, stick out a knee or arm to try to trip or stop the dribbler. He must take the contact on the upper part of the body.

I thought that a player who moved his torso sideways to inhibit a dribbler was committing a foul. Was I wrong? I've often seen players realize that they weren't going to make the contact they expected, and so they basically throw the shoulder sideways a couple inches (without moving the feet.) This isn't a foul?

Joe