View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Well I have read the whole NFHS rule book and casebook, some of the NCAA, and almost all of the NBA. I just don't see how post play should be called different at any level.

Getting off that to ask a question to chuck or jurassic in particular or anyone else who feels like answering. What are the guidelines on what you can do in the post? As I have said hundreds of times before I am an NBA guy. I love their rules and I do know the difference between almost all NBA, college, and HS rules, but when it comes to things like post play and hand checking/forearm checking out top I don't know what the provisions on that are. In the NBA official's manual. It has set guidelines. For an example, in the post with a player's back to the defender, the defender may put a forearm and a bent elbow hand. He may not have two forearms, nor two hands. that is just to name one of the guidelines. why don't NCAA and especially HS come out with such guidelines to make it easier for all officials to be more uniform, cause I know I am going to use the NBA guidelines in the post and in hand checking and I know that I would more than likely be wrong in making these calls according to supervisors, but that could vary from supervisor to supervisor, because there are no set guidelines. I will get off my soap box now and let you guys respond.
NCAAW (at least) had a "two of anything in the post is a foul" interpretation for a number of years. It's been dropped in favor of a "displacement is a foul" interpretation.