View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

You will also see that there are spectators who ask questions and say things about bigger stronger kids backing down smaller weaker kids like shaq does and that it is an NBA thing or that it is illegal.

What Shaq does for the most part is not illegal. He is bigger. Should we blame him or even penalize him for that? NO. If the kid never comes to a "firm up" position and instead just keeps giving way after every bump, that is his fault and as long as the defender isn't taking a hard shot to the torso to knock him back consistently it is not a foul.

Eastdavis you will find that almost all and if not all of the posters on here are on your side about the NBA and not liking the work the officials do and even the NBA in general, but I am not on that side. I have met with, watched, and observed the work that they do on and off the court(watching game film, case plays, etc.). They are the best in the world at what they do. The NBA doesn't have a style of refereeing. There is the rules and the rules only that determines the style. Refs at the NBA level know(by the rules) what contact can be deemed legal and what can't. I feel the plays like the back down you are reffering to are the calls that are not "no-called" enough. The defender is giving way ground to the offensive player and the offensive player has every right to keep banging that defender until he decides he wants to hold a position, and until then or until the offensive player does something overt my whistle will remain silent.

I personally would love to see two kids in my youth league battle in the post like that.