View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Start of the 2nd Q, I report a foul on Vis 20. Home scorer waves me over and says 20 played in the 1st qtr as well as all 4 qtrs in the JV game. Ohio has a 5 Qtrs rule. As they start milling around for the JV book, the visitor scorer tells me that he recorded the wrong name in the book which created the misunderstanding about 20's qtrs and that 20 currently playing didnt play JV and is a regular for the varsity.

In other words, the visiting scorer accidentally wrote in "Jones" who doesnt play varsity and wears 20 when he should wrote in "Smith" who does play Varsity and wears 20.

=======================
Rule 3.2.2

SECTION 2 ROSTERS, STARTERS, NUMBERS
ART. 2 . . . After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1, a team is charged with a maximum of one technical foul regardless of how many infractions of the following are committed (see 10-1-2 Penalty):

a. Changing a designated starter, unless necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw.
b. Adding a name to the team member list.
c. Requiring the scorer to change a team member's or player's number in the scorebook.
d. Requiring a player to change to the number in the scorebook.
e. Having identical numbers on team members and/or players.
=======================

There were not two number 20s in the book or dressed.
There was not a number change required.

The question is this: Would you interpret 3.2.2 B to be the guideline here and therefore assessed a technical foul in order to change the name?

We huddled and as a group felt like there was no advantage gained nor any book problems created by this situation because we had all the numbers right. An argument could be that this is stretching the intent of 3.2 and a technical was not merited. We all 3 agreed to instruct the scorers to correct the name without penalty.

We all felt that what we did was fair but did we set the rule aside? I look at 3.2.2 B and think that we didnt "ADD" a name but rather correct an honest mistake.

As a backdrop to this situation is that this was an Indiana school playing an Ohio School - they are only ten miles apart and huge rivals. This game is the biggest game on the schedule for both schools so the intensity levels were very high.

What would you have done in this situation?