View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this one rattling around my head for a few days now and haven't been able to find the applicable rule in the federation book or example in the case book.

2nd and ten on the 50. A throws and incomplete pass and after the play B commits a dead ball personal foul (late hit). A then retaliates with another dead ball personal foul. None of the hits constitute an ejection, but I'm having trouble on the enforcement. Since we are not inside the 30's the distances will cancel out (but I am aware technically DB fouls can't off-set), but will it be 1st and ten on the 50, or 1st and 25 on the 50? I know that the fouls are assesed in the order in which they occured, but does the distance that A gained because of the fist DBPF give them a first down? If so do you set the sticks and they asses their penalty or asses the second DBPF and then set the sticks?

This brings up another question, after a first down has been gained; how do you distinguish if a foul on A will back them up to a first and more then ten, or allow for the first down to be awarded and then mark off the penalty before setting the chains.

IF someone can point me to the page in the federation rule or case books, I'd really appreciate it.

Jim