Thread: Two Questions
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

I am a coach who comes to this site to get the expert answers in regard to the officiating of a ball game. I had two situations happen last night and I want to know if they were handled correctly.

1. In the third quarter we received a warning for breaking the plane as we were pressing the opponent and putting pressure on the inbounder. Later in the game with less than a minute left of playing time - we scored on a lay up and the ball bouned off someone under the basket. As the ball rolled out toward the free throw line our player tapped it back toward the take out man. A technical was called because we made contact with the ball and we had already been warned. My argument was our player was simply helping the opponent and no intent of delaying the game was made. The ball was rolling UP the court. The ref said we had been warned earlier and they Had to call a techinal, even though it didn't cause a delay.

Sounds wrong to me - comments?

2. We are pressing after a made basket. The ball is inbounded by a baseball pass motion. We tip it back out of bounds about 10 feet to the left of the inbounder. On the next inbound the inbounder runs the baseline. I argued that he could not run the baseline. The ball already had crossed the plane and was knocked out of bounds at a different place. The ref said it was a continuation of the previous play and he could run the baseline. Is this correct? Comments.