View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 08:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I am in my third year and here in our state there is some of the "who you know", but that is not the whole story. My first year, I worked games through only one assignor who gave me as many JV & Freshman games as I wanted. I arrived early, listened to partners, listened to the varsity guys, went in a the varsity games to listen even more. Year two I worked for a couple of other assignors on a limited basis to get more exposure and continued to do the above, did some AAU, went to camp, etc. Year three, still more games from other assignors. Emailed other assignors to let them know of availability for next year with the hopes that some games would show up this year. Worked before one of the assignors last night and may get a game or two from him before the season is out.

Also, I have known the secretary/treasurer of our assn for 25 years. He tried to recruit me into the ranks years ago after finding out I had been certified elsewhere. He is one of my assignors. I stay in touch with him. My instructor is well regarded and I am also in touch with him on a regular basis. {He is also in the same profession as me and I taught HIM in a class several years ago}. My son just got back from a year on the Kuwait-Iraq border and our board interpreter has a son over there now. So I have conversed with him about that in addition to basketball related stuff.

The long and short of it all is that if you work hard to improve, are sincere in asking for and using advice, get to know people in the association, stay to give ratings to varsity officials, go to camps, etc. you will have opportunities to move up. It is not all politics, but it is not politics-free, either. You still have to call a good game. As far as the guys who are past prime go, I have not been in it long enough to see how that part fits in. The article has some merit, but like most topics, the truth is somewhere in the middle.