View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just read the article the other day. I really do not see this "old boy network" in the way that people like to think there is. I have to qualify my statements by saying I do not belong to an association or live in an area where "an association" really gives out games. Our system is more like the D1 system. Every conference has an assignor and those assignors come up with their own way of thinking on what is required to hire someone. Also a lot of assignors do not like each other or respect the decisions of other assignors so there really is not a group of people that get together and make decisions that affect everyone's assignments. Now assignors and officials are human so there is always going to be certain bias that they bring to the table, but even when those assignors have those biases, they cannot only hire people in that small window and cover all games. I know a lot of assignments that are given out with very little overall knowledge of the person they are hiring or only saw once at a camp. In some cases I have seen where an assignor takes a chance on someone that no one else has given an opportunity. Anytime you are dealing with human beings you will have decisions that everyone is not going to like or respect. Also assignors are not going to hire people that are new when they have a lot of officials that have proven they can get the job done as compared to someone that is newer and has not established him or herself in officiating.

I think the biggest problem with the "old boy network," is the fact that officials use this as a crutch when they do not succeed. I know officials that attend few meetings, hardly ever go to camps do not go to socials where they can actually meet the assignor they want to work for (which I feel is very important, you are the best salesperson of your ability) or just go around complaining how they got the shaft to everyone that will listen. I know as an official I tried to meet everyone I could so that I would find out who to talk to or what I had to do so I could get hired. Many times for me it was just introducing myself to the assignor and they would tell me to attend their camp or tell me what information to send them. I did not do anything that someone else could not do. Now that might not at all apply to where someone else lives or their personal experiences. I just think you have to know the system you are under and find ways to get noticed.

Peace