View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:28am
Jerry Blum

I am in my 7th year of officiating and have done a number of varsity games in that time. I believe I am at the point where if I wasn't in a new area, 2nd season in Indianapolis, I should be doing full varsity schedule and possibly working in the tournament. Part of the problem is that I am new to the area and couldn't get enough varsity games to qualify to apply for the Boys or Girls tournament.

So I feel my knowledge of the rules and ability to call a game are pretty good and continuously getting better. However, I have been told by my wife and a friend that I appear to be unapproachable when I am on the court. What I mean by that is they say that I have a very serious demeanor about me when I am officiating a game. Now I figure if that is the case and I can become more approachable and seem friendlier to the coaches and players it might help get me more varsity games and become eligible to apply for the tournament.

I would appreciate any thoughts about this or advice on how not to appear so "serious" on the floor.