View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:41am
Jerry Blum

First, sounds like there at least should have been a foul on your teams point guard if not Intentional.

Based on what you wrote I definetely wouldn't lump you in with the other parents that complain about officiating at games or on this board. Sounds like you are looking at the situation from the correct point of view and trying to instill good sportsmanship in your daughter despite the coaching. From someone that officiates basketball and is about to become a father for the first time I hope that I am able to instill good sportsmanship in my child when they start playing as well. However, I see, like you have a declining attitude toward sportsmanship recently. Parents have always been, for the most part clueless about the rules of the game and therefore the way the game is officiated but when they are yelling and complaining about the officials it only transfers to their children who then start showing the same lack of sportsmanship.

Whether this will get better or worse when your daughter gets to highschool, I would say that it should get better because based on my experience highschool coaches for the most part don't teach or put up with the unsportsmanlike behavior. Now unfortunately there are always the exceptions to the rule.

My suggestion would be to continue to teach your daughter to play the game within the rules and in a sportsmanlike manner. Like I said that is the way I hope to teach my child to play sports even if it means that it is in conflict with the coaches ideas.

Nice to hear a parent that is on the officials side for once.