Thread: Rollie's Latest
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Well Tim, if we are talking purely hypothetically then there really is nothing that says that one umpire sees is correct. And if we talked about it in theory, or hypothetically, then we really have no where to go.

However in practice, there are times when we know that we, as the other umpire have seen something that our partner has not. Two examples illustrate this. The swipe tag call on NCAA Video Bulletin #6 and the A-Rod interference play in the playoffs a couple of years ago. In both of these instances, the PU was doing his job and trailing the play, looking exactly where he is supposed to be and he sees either a swipe tag (NCAA) or interference (A-Rod). In both instances, the PU saw information that the BU, by the way the play developed, could not see.

The PU in both cases, correctly viewed the play and had the right call, unlike his partner. It should be noted that in both instances, replay clearly shows the information that the PU has is correct.

So the question remains, what do you as the PU do with the information you have, particularly if your partner doesn't come to you for help and/or if a firestorm is starting to erupt.

Do you approach unsolicited and if so, how?

It should be noted that a couple months earlier, I posted about a play in which I screwed the pooch on a pulled foot at first, my partner confirming that he was 100% certain that F3's foot was clearly off the bag. Yet he didn't give his information and an obviously blown call that was correctable was left on the table.

I honestly wish there was some protocol in place so that the call could have been corrected. I also want to know how to handle such a call in the future if I am the one that is 100% certain that my partner missed a call because he got straight-lined and I have information to give.

I am looking for solid advice from the senior umpires on this board as to how to handle one of the most delicate situations that we as umpires have to face. My quote below was never more applicable.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates