Thread: Rollie's Latest
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

After having viewed the NCAA Video Bulletin #6 I have a question. What happens if the 1st base umpire doesn't ask for help? As the plate umpire what do you do?

What do you do if the defensive coach starts vehemently arguing with the BU about the swipe tag? Do you the PU, knowing you clearly saw a tag and will have an out when asked just let the argument escalate? If the BU has your information, a $h!thouse could possibly be avoided and the right call made.

I am not sure I understand why you as the PU must wait to be asked to give the information you have, particularly when a swipe tag is one of the reasons you trail up the line in the first place.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, I am just trying to understand the logic behind waiting to be asked on this particular play?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates