Thread: Rollie's Latest
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Funny thing,

I have an e-mail from Yeast, Garth, that says exactly what you intone. He says he "wishes" he had a better clip and he ALWAYS points out that the PU should have waited until asked.

Two things tht have been accredited to Yeast that I found "not quite true":

The above referenced clip and his reaction and,

A bogus report that last spring during a college clinic Yeast told umpires to "Balk" a hidden ball play after a dead ball as soon as they found out the incorrectly put the ball into play. The post on this site went on to say that Yeast said: "They were trying to show the umpires up . . . balk'em for that!"

-------------------------------------------------

Note:

Tim:

In 99.9% of the situations I don’t think a coach should be near a conversation of this type between umpires. In the situation on the video I would have preferred the coach not be involved by it was quick and did not cause a problem.

Dave

Dave Yeast
National Coordinator of Baseball Umpires
572 Oak Valley Dr.
Frontenac, MO 63131

And:

Tim

In response to your question concerning Dave's comment to a group in Texas:

I am certain Dave's words were misinterpreted. As you well know, umpires should never react in that manner to a player or coach and Dave would never suggest any type of retaliation be a part of an umpire's enforcement.

Please continue to instruct your umpires in this manner as far as the NCAA rules are concerned.

"When the umpire realizes his mistake of putting the ball into play improperly, he should rectify his mistake because we all know that a ball cannot be made live until all the proper elements are in place; the pitcher, with the ball, gets on the rubber, the batter assumes his normal position in the batter's box and the catcher is within the lines of the catcher's box."

Neither team should ever be put in a position of disadvantage because of an umpire's mistake. Whenever possible, the umpire must take whatever steps needed to correct his error. It will take some explanation to both managers and in your words, " a do over" would be the appropriate way to handle the error.

I hope this clarifies this situation for you.

Jim Paronto
Secretary Editor
-------------------------------------------------

Tee