Thread: Rollie's Latest
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
In his latest collection of thoughts at officiating.com, Rollie attempts to justify his habit of publicly asking his partners "Would you like to know what I saw?" on close plays by equating it with Dave Yeast's positive comments about a play in which the umpires, without fanfare, without one yelling to the other, get together to get a play right at first.

Either Rollie is being purposefully deceptive in attempting to equate the two methods of getting/giving help, or he really doesn't understand the difference between throwing a partner under the bus and getting the call right.

While I agree with your conclusions, I'm not so sure Rollie was wrong to compare the two. From what I saw of Dave Yeast's description, the PU did step on his partner publicly. Yeast was positive in his analysis, but in part I think it was because Yeast himself did not want to throw the PU under the bus. He was glad to see the call end up correct, but even Yeast said it would have been better if the PU waited to be asked by the BU. And Yeast carefully worded his praise of the PU by limiting it to how well he got down the line.

I am confused about one aspect of the play. It involved a swipe tag at 1st that the base ump missed. The BU ruled safe, and the PU went to him and told him there was a tag. In trying to justify the fact that the PU did not wait to be asked, Yeast says, "I think the best situation would have been to wait for the base umpire to ask him for help. However, #9, the first base coach, would have surely asked the base umpire to go get help"

Did I miss something, or is Dave Yeast really suggesting that the base coach would argue a safe call?

Mike