Thread: Rollie's Latest
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I think we have definitely reached the point now where the instruction offered by this site (via their avatar Rollie) is not productive in the training of most umpires. Quite frankly, I would not steer newer umpires to read anything posted on the pay-side of the site anymore (or at most, steer them toward Tim, and ask them to read Rollie as a primer on what NOT to do). The "insight" given by this site (via their avatar Rollie) is counterproductive to training umpires.

Quite the embarrassment, actually. And getting worse each month. What's left now... I guess I have to steer my guys toward the error-prone (but at least not counterproductive) Referee Magazine. Yes, they tend to get at least one rule interpretation wrong per month... but at least they aren't trying to teach mechanics that actually make umpires worse.

PS - with the sole exception of very rookie umpires or umpire training scrimmages, I think the most I've said to my partner between innings is, "Jerry, you need a water?"