View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 11:26am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
I'd probably just declare the ball dead (according to rule) and afterwards tell B32 right there (and maybe his coach at an opportune time) that the ball was live and that he could have recovered and advanced if he wanted to.
We had an slightly different scenario occur in a varsity game last season. A punts the ball about 30 yards. The ball is bouncing around and the deep guy (call him B1) is yelling "Get away!" B1 is hovering near the ball while it is surrounded by A players. A1 slaps the ball into the ground (i.e. touching it down) and the A players run off towards their sidelines. The BJ blows the ball dead after the ball is slapped and as the A players are running off.

Now the B coach (on my sidelines) is furious because he said his guy was going to pick up the ball and run it. He said that he's been coaching his guys to make sure the the punting team picks up the ball. If they don't he coaches them to pick it up and run and take advantage of first touching.

Now I know he is technically correct, since the ball was neither completely at rest nor possesed by A. How do you guys handle this situation?