View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
When I go to explain why I call the T to the coach he tells me that it's part of the game and it didn't deserve to be a T.
A player telling a ref "That's bullsh!t" is NOT a part of the game. You had to call that T. I, like you, find myself disappointed that a coach could find any way to disagree with that call. Disappointed, but not surprised. Earlier this week in a BV game, I called a personal foul against a player who then turned and slammed both hands down against the floor in protest. I followed up the personal foul with a technical foul. After reporting the fouls and then informing the coach that the player had been disqualifed (personal foul was #4, T was #5), the DQ'd player's coach asked to speak with me. He told me that his player was "just showing emotion," and you can't T a player for that. I told the coach that when emotion results in unsportsmanlike conduct, a technical foul is the appropriate call. Coach says: "No. No way."

As much as I'd like the kids to learn life lessons, some coaches appear unable, or unwilling, to teach them. I didn't report the coach's response to his AD because that particular team has been assessed quite a few technical fouls this season and the AD already is aware of the team culture.