View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by David Emerling

If nothing else was learned from the recent "Obstruction" thread it was this: That well-meaning and educated umpires can seldom agree on this topic. Everybody makes perfect sense in their views ... it's just that no consensus seems ever to be reached on the sticky points.

David, Obstruction is one if not the most difficult call in baseball whether FED or OBR. FED is simpler with regard to awards because in FED we KNOW the runner is always going to get at least one base whether heading to or retreating from.

I don't like the OBR treatment regarding awards because even though a runner retreats doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have gotten the next base. Remember as a runner one cannot assume at that moment an umpire will rule something - so as an offensive player better be safe than sorry

Perhaps he retreated because F3 or F4 obstructed him and he didn't think he could make it so he retreated - that's why I personally like the FED rule better but that's a matter of preference.

My suggestion regarding this entire issue is: follow the practice that is accepted in the association in which you work. The most important aspect of obstruction is that a group of umpires within the same association rules it the same way.

This is what I have been taught regarding Obstruction.

When we see obstruction signal with the left hand THATS OBSTRUCTION Loud enough for everyone to hear. As Jim P said in your mind determine which base you are going to protect the runner to. The moment there is a play at that protected to base - whether in a run down or tag attempt signal TIME! and make the awards. Use your judgement as to where to place other runners if they are involved.

The rule of thumb is: if a runner was at least halfway to the next base - award him / her that base.

Also, as others mentioned, our protected to base can change depending upon the defense, ie; an oufielder bobbles the ball.

In a nutshell, bring this question up to your association and follow their practice regarding the mechanics and ultimate ruling concerning obstruction.

As a side note: In most instances whenever someone hears" THAT'S OBSTRUCTION! action almost always stops at least in amateur ball. It's almost as if they hear FOUL ball.

Pete Booth