Thread: confused
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 02, 2001, 08:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb There is a such thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee

I absolutely HATE referees that say this to caoches! It a lot of cases it comes across as if you are trying to distance yourself from your partner, and lay the blame squarely on him/her.

A better response is something like: "if it was a foul (violation, whaterver) then we would have called it". This shows a united crew working together.

There is no such thing as YOUR call and THEIR call, everything that happens on the court is OUR responsibility.
I have to disagree with you. I do not want to be explaining a call I did not see. If I am explaining calls that was not in my area, or I had no clue what my partner called, I feel it is always better to have my partner explain it. I have no problem with this because then the coach can ask the appropriate official, instead of the official that is watching off ball or looking thru players. I tell all my partners in pregame, if a coach has a question about my calls, to ask me when they get a chance. I am a grown up, I can answer for myself. I do not want to explain anything about what you called. I might not explain it properly. And better yet, if I explain his or her call, then the coach will want that all the time. Even when I do not have a clue myself. And especially when you are doing 3 Person mechanics.

There is a such thing as YOUR CALL and MY CALL. If you blew the whistle, it is YOUR CALL. Chances are, you saw what happen, that is why you blew the whistle. But if I am good off-ball official, or I am watching on-ball on a off-ball foul, how the hell am I going to know what was called? Like the old saying, get it straight from the horses mouth, not the horses AZZ!!

Peace