View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Re: My $0.02

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
This is a very fine line and rather than arguing with a fan, I simply do one of two things that seem to work or at least I haven't gotten my rear in a ringer with them anyway. The first thing I do if they are complaining or yelling every time down the floor is get close to them and invite them to the officials meeting that we have every Monday. I tell them "We are always looking for well qualified people to help." That usually puts an end to it. Or, I have used "You can either see the show or be the show. You make the decision." Another thing that works THE SILENT METHOD... is to inbound the ball as close to them as you can and when you blow it ready for play, turn right at them and give a good honk on it! Of course they need to be pretty close to the floor (first row or two.)
The only problem with the get close and tweet method is that you often have a difficult time not grinning immediately after the whistle (thus giving away the true intentions). I have used the, if you can do better join us. I have even gone as far as to making my own flyers for preseason rec games with info about joining on the scorers table. if I have an incessant complainer I invite him/her to join. It has only produced 2 takers that I know of, both quit before the seasons end (but much wiser!).