View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I do a Saturday morning Y league just to help out in my town. I usually work with HS kids or parents. Before the league started, we had a short meeting and I talked about coverage areas and lines (who's calling oob). Beyond that, I kind of take it piece by piece. Give them a bit of knowledge every once in a while. If you try to tell them a bunch of things all at once, you'll probably confuse them. Other than that, I stay in my area and try to enjoy myself (some of my current and former students are usually on the floor). I also try to encourage some of the helpers to get registered with the state. We're moving toward 3 man and there are areas that will need a lot of new officials. On a funny note, last year I worked with a guy I play league with. He's a good guy, but typical to a men's league player, as soon as the ball is in play, there's a foul, violation, or something that is being missed at all times. I was T, he was lead. A kid takes a shot, misses everything, and runs down the ball. My partner whistles a violation. I smile and shake my head. Him, "That's not a violation?" Me, "Not if the referee sees it as a shot attempt." Him, "You're kidding, I never knew that." At least he learned a little.