View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
I have just been asked to ref 4 games of the 7th and 8th grade level. The problem with these games is that I am going to be officiating with an unpatched ref, whos only experience comes from the local cyc league( this is a 2 man crew by the way). I do know that all of these teams have talent, and are very quick. I also know myself well enough to know that I am not going to be able to treat him like all of the new refs I coach in the rec league because I am not skilled enough to look outside of my coverage and cover him at this level. What can I do to help myself and him. I have asked him to show up a little earlier so we can have a little longer pregame. What all should I bring up in the pregame. Is their a way in the pregame that I can nicly bring up that he is going to probably struggle, also to tell him that his zone is enough to worry about and to forget mine( cyc officials love to watch the whole court) I openly admited to the AD when he confronted me with these games that I am only a Junior in highschool, and am relativily new to officiating and that just me getting through these games with an experienced official is tough. Is their anything I can do to get this idea that something bad is going to happen out of my mind before the game.
Thank you
P.S. sorry this is so long and their are so many questions but any help I can get I'd appreciate.

[Edited by fonzzy07 on Jan 17th, 2006 at 11:15 PM]
"These games are different from cyc. You'll need to concentrate on your primary, and trust me to handle my primary. I'll do the same for you. In the gray area, we make eye contact, and see how to handle it."

If you'll be the "head ref", which I'm guessing from what you've said, stand up and take charge, but do it warmly and in a friendly way. Be the senior official, but don't big-time him.

Call the obvious. Protect the shooter. Lots of partner eye contact. Chat briefly at every opportunity. Relax and have fun.

The way to get rid of the fear of "something bad happening" is to know that you can handle whatever it may be. You can, can't you?

Okay, maybe not, but you can know that you can't possibly screw it up as badly as I have in the past. Any mistake there is out there, I've done it and bought the T-shirt. Now don't you feel better?