View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 02, 2001, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter

Remember, we're talking about Pro rules, here. The kind of gross overthrow you are talking about during a rundown would be rarer than Count Dracula's sirloin steak in the bigs. These rules were not designed for Little, or even Interscholastic League Baseball.
They may not be designed for Little League, but these are the rules we use. Now, in LL, the gross overthrow is more likely to occur (kids, pumped up on sugar and excitement, tend to get wild with their throws sometimes). However, and let me know if you agree, the smart thing to do is kill the play when the protected runner gets caught in a rundown.

Now, technically speaking, is killing the play on a runner in a rundown that is protected under Type B obstruction the smart umpire thing to do, or is it the letter of the law? I mean, we could allow the play to continue, then award the runner his protected base, even if he was tagged out in the rundown, couldn't we? This is why I'm asking about this ruling, does it fall under "the letter of the law", or does it fall under "preventing a sh**house from occuring"?