View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I read Oscar Robertson's biography. It was great. I do know that there were a lot of serious issues being faced by black people then and now. However, I think that things were getting better and still continue to get better every day. Absolutely there were serious incidents of racism at that time, especially in the South, but there were many, many white people, including my parents who thought it was just flat out wrong to not treat everybody equal.

I'm just saying that Hollywood in general seems to go out of their way to make it look like everybody was against a team with all-black starters winning the championship. I guarantee you that there weren't many people from Texas that were rooting against Texas Western in the NCAA tournament. At least that's what my Dad told me and he was there. I was barely alive at the time, so I don't remember it. As much as fans love the underdog, I also believe they had quite a few fans rooting for the upset. Black players were beginning to dominate the NBA and the fans were certainly beginning to show acceptance. It takes time for some people to change their views, and some never do, but I think on the whole Texas Western did help a lot of people to change their views for the better.