View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hi All,

Officials, just like players and coaches, will have their off nights. I probably had one of those nights last friday at a girls varsity game.

In any case, afterwards, I had a nice long talk with a veteran official (who was the AD of the school I was at) and she noted that I should "referee the defense" better.

To be honest, I thought I had slowed my habit of ball watching and focused on the defense better. However, after having a chance to replay a little bit of the game in my head, I realized I had reverted back during the game.

My best guess as to why is both teams were playing zone a lot. When the ball swung from side to side, I would tend to watch the ball swing and when a player drove to the hoop against the zone, I would immediately focus on the player with the ball rather than the nearby defenders. I think I unfairly penalized the defense a few times with some calls.

In any case, I was curious what the other officials here have to offer on working/improving this aspect of officiating?

Thanks!