View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
So I have to still remind myself in games to put the open hand up before pointing. Sometimes it ends up looking like a long, sweeping motion - I start to put my hand out to point, then remember I have to put it all the way up, then put it back down to point.
[/B]
Try putting one hand up all the way. Then drop that arm and point with the other arm. That'll slow you down and get the job done. [/B][/QUOTE]

Slowing it down is what makes it look funnier. If I did it faster it wouldn't look as obvious.

I usually have to give myself a mental pre-game in the car on the way to game to go over with myself what level I'm working, mechanics, obvious rule differences, etc. just to get myself in the right frame of mind. Most of the time it's not an issue; sometimes I notice I do it late in a game - probably a result of getting a little mentally tired. But I work with other partners that do both HS and college, and for some of them their attitude is "so what, why not do college mechanics in a HS game?". That just doesn't sit right with me - if we're there to do a HS game, that's the game that's most important that night, and we will work it like a HS game. [soapbox = off]

I've got another mechanic I use in the women's college game. Invariably within the first couple of possessions, if I find I'm starting a ten-second backcourt count, my hand just continues on up and I fix my hair. Now, I'm not sure what those who are follicly-challanged would fix...

(Used with permission.)