View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The men have not eliminated it. In fact, last year, the official's manual was adamant about using it.

The women have eliminated it b/c they want to look like the NBA.
I'm not gonna feel like I'm in the NBA until I get a shirt with a number on it.

The reason I've heard explained to me is it looks a little "calmer", or a little more "matter of fact", along the lines of "just another call". I think most timers already stop the clock when they hear the whistle, not when they see the hand in the air, so it eliminates some of the extra movement. (Heaven knows as we get older we all want to eliminate extra movements...)

As far as doing that mechanic in HS, that is one area I stuggle with occasionally. I know in IL, we've been told we need to use all Fed. mechanics if we want to advance in the post-season. So I have to still remind myself in games to put the open hand up before pointing. Sometimes it ends up looking like a long, sweeping motion - I start to put my hand out to point, then remember I have to put it all the way up, then put it back down to point. Real smooth, eh? My partners who know what I'm struggling with end up snickering at me as they go back down the court.

(Used with permission.)