View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Here Goes

Why do I post on umpiring forums?

I suppose it's a great way to further my passion for the hobby of officiating the game of baseball. It is after all a hobby for me. Right now while my sons are still young and playing the game I have no aspirations to move beyond the high school level. I'm a relatively young man so that might change in the future, but for now, I'm happy doing what I'm doing.

By participating on these forums I've been exposed to upper level baseball officials that I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to hear from any place else. I live in a medium sized urban community and there just aren't that many extremely accomplished umpires here. There are good ones to be sure, but not good to the extent some of the men I've encountered on the internet are.

You can sit and read all of the rules books over and over and find yourself still not completely prepared to rule on some of the more stickey situations that are discussed on these forums. Reading and participating in these discussions allows me to stow away some arcane piece of knowledge that I may only encounter once, if ever on the diamond. When I do see it I'll be able to think back to one of these threads and remember how some of you suggested you would handle the situation.

Combining that with the opportunity to build relationships with officials from all over the country, and it's a win win situation for me. In the past year I've been invited to work games in the Netherlands, Holland, Canada, and all over our country. I've had more than my fair share of battles with certain people, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Tim.