View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2

Our Commisioner on our board made the statement in the beginning of the year that if you are overweight, you will not get AAA Boys Varsity Games. Needless to say, it sidelined a bunch of officials and open the doors for more!
What was the criteria for being overweight? Who decided who was overweight?

Wow, that's a pretty subjective decision for one person to make. I can think of a couple officials in my local association who are a little overweight but I would "go to war" with them for any game at any level. Other officials are fit as a fiddle, but are not nearly as strong on the court.

Doesn't your group have a ratings system that incorporates MANY criteria (possibly including weight) to evaluate an official's ability? This sounds like a person who has given runaway power. Isn't there a board of directors to keep him/her in check?

If you exclude an official on weight alone, where do you stop? Are you going to keep AAA boys games from officials with glasses? Officials who are over a certain age? Isn't it supposed to be about ability? Why would you penalize an overweight official who is darn good and has made up for his weight by being so good in many other areas?

Z
The criteria was stomaches hanging over belts as well the ability to get up and down the court. We do have an evaluation system and that is on the evaluation too. All I can say is that nobody confronted him about it.