Thread: Overweight Refs
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

As an overweight official myself...sure it probably matters and impacts my schedule. I was recently talking about schedules with another chapter member before our last meeting. I told him that I figured the factors that impacted my schedule were;

1) Assignment secretary did not have many chances to see me work (and I have not had a formal evaluation during a game in the 2 years since I returned to the chapter). These are primarily because I came back last year after all the local camps were over and only was able to work 1 scrimmage and the chapter is in bad need of people to evaluate. Last summer, I went to the local camps but he was sick once and just did not get a chance to watch more that one half of one of my games at the other camp.

2) Weight. But I have lost just over 10% of my start of the season weight...so I'm getting there.

3) Becasue of my real job, I had to turn back the 2 sxrimmages I was scheduled to work before the season and two games right after the season started. On all but one of the games, it was at the last minute because mt bosses boss told us we had to work at the last minute.

Since the assignment secretary also calls games, numbers 1 and 3 are out of my control. I just work the games I am given, will continue to lose weight until I get to where I want to be and hope for more exposure next summer during camps. Last year I received 4 varsity (very small schools) and medium sized schools JV. This year I have had 5 medium sized school varsity and large school JV...just fewer games.

Guess in a way, he considers it a move up. Doesn't matter a lot to me...I just do it because I enjoy it.