View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

MTD...JR stated both FOULS and VIOLATIONS are penalized twice...I don't know if he had a typo or what, but, I don't think he meant it the way it came out. (I'm sure he will clarify for us later)

As stated...during an AP TI...a team does not lose the AP arrow on a FOUL...but, does lose the AP arrow on a VIOLATION.

Your right; my answer was vague. Clarification:

If a team commits a foul, there are standard penalties assigned to that foul--- that penalty might be FT's for the other team, loss of possession, etc. If the throwing team commits a foul during an AP throw-in, the penalty for that foul is applied exactly the same as if the foul had been committed under any other circumstances during the game. Iow, you penalize the fouling team during an AP by giving their opponents either FT's or possession(or both if the foul was intentional/flagrant). That concept holds for both the throwing and defensive teams also. If you take an AP possession away from the throwing team also, you would be penalizing the throwing team twice for the same foul. That's my point. You wouldn't dream of also taking an AP away from the defensive team if they fouled during that AP throw-in, would you? The bottom line is that when a foul is committed on an AP possession now, that foul is treated exactly the same as any other foul committed during the game, with no additional penalties being added.

The FED used exactly the same logic and concept in regards to throw-ins too. The penalty for a violation committed by the throwing team during any throw-in is the loss of that particular throw-in. That's the normal penalty for all throw-ins. If that particular throw-in happened to be an AP throw-in, then they have lost that particular AP throw-in. Losing the arrow is just part of the normal penalty,iow. The loss of the arrow just means that they lost that throw-in by violating. The normal penalty for any throw-in was applied in this case also.

Put them together, you should see that the FED is just being consistent in both cases- fouls and violations during an AP throw-in- by simply applying the penalty that is normally assigned to each. And that's where I disagee with Nevada's thinking that the FED isn't being consistent or fair.