View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
When I wrote my initial post, I also had the following play in mind:
    R1 only. Batter singles to right and is obstructed after making an aggressive turn at 1B, judged to be an attempt of bluff. R1 is advancing to 3B. F9 has fielded the ball and may or may not have thrown at the time of obstruction. F9's throw is cutoff by F4, who has gone toward right as a cutoff.
    Consider the following:
    1. How do we know F9's throw is a play on the BR and not a possible play on R1? (We don't) Our judgement was that BR was not advancing to 2B (and, in fact, did not).
    2. Since BR has apparently stopped in his tracks on his bluff attempt, can the play at 2B actually be considered a play on BR? (Not in my opinion)
    3. If any throw is cut, can that initial throw be considered a play on the advancing runner? (No)
      (Keep in mind the LL World Series plate play where this question came to pass relative to F2's blocking of the plate and being "in the act of fielding")

The mechanic for Type B obstruction is to "allow play to continue until all play has ceased and no further action is possible" (NAPBL). So, taking the above example and considering the throw to 2B is after the obstruction occurred OR that the ball is cut by F4, shouldn't we allow play to continue? (Yes, let the play continue till all action has ceased, or until the runner is actually tagged out at or before the base he is protected)

Certainly a direct throw to 2B could be considered as a play on BR under Type A obstruction if the ball was released at or before the time of obstruction---or is it, since we judged the obstruction occurred during a "bluff" and BR was not advancing to BR. What about if it were released AFTER the time of obstruction? (Then it is Type B obstruction. Unless a play is being made on a runner concurrently with obstruction can it be Type A obstruction) Can it change from Type B to Type A? (No) I would think not, but NAPBL states under Type A obstruction mechanic:

If the umpire judges that a throw was made after the obstruction [my emphasis], the obstructed runner will be awarded only one base from the base he last touched at the time of obstruction.

This statement seems to contradict Type A definition that this would even BE a Type A obstruction if, indeed, a throw was made AFTER the obstruction occurred---unless Type B can change into Type A. (This is confusing, but I think what it is saying is that if the runner is obstructed and the throw (the play) is made on him after the obstruction (immediately after the obstruction) you call the play dead and award the advance base, ignoring the overthrow?) Furthermore, let's suppose a Type B obstructed runner is thrown out at a base, is not the umpire rather than calling the runner out supposed to kill the play and make the appropriate award? This would also seem to contradict the concept of Type B mechanics which states to allow all play to continue unless the Type B has changed to Type A---at least as far as mechanics are concerned. (I'm not seeing why the obstruction Type needs to change. You let all play continue until all action ceases or the protected runner is tagged out before his protected base. Now, I realize that this is not technically allowing the play to continue as far as possible, but it does prevent the ensuing confusion of having a runner that has actually been awarded second, in the ump's mind, called out, then play continue, then bring him back when all action ceases, and then placing the runners)

In the play above now, suppose F4 cuts the ball and plays upon BR returning to 1B which results in a rundown.
    1. Should we kill the play there based on CSFP or based on rule? (Not to argue CSFP in this situation).
    2. What if R1 is continuing to advance to home during the throw of F4 to F3? If the defense gets BR in a rundown and we kill the play, aren't we denying the offense (the offended party) the opportunity to score a run?
    While I would agree that CSFP says stay away from the 3rd world play and kill the ball when a Type B obstructed runner gets involved in a rundown, I can see where it could be detrimental to the offense. (Fear not the third world play. What we need to do is come up with the correct ruling for such a play. If BR gets caught in a rundown, either he will make it to a base, or he won't. If he does, no problem. If he doesn't, then we send him to the base that we mentally awarded him at the moment of the obstruction. I would have protected the runner to first. If he makes it to first, no problem. If he gets to second, hey, good for him, he got further than I thought he would. If he gets tagged at a base or between bases, we call time and award the BR.....first? Like I said, we need to come up with the answer so this isn't a third world play.)

Let's suppose in my example that the BR wasn't obstructed, but rather R1 was obstructed by F6 as F4 took a throw at 2B (no play being made on R1). Now, F4 relays to F5 where R1 is either tagged out or caught in a rundown? (Tagged, call time. Otherwise, let it go?) During those events BR is advancing to 2B. Are we to kill the play if R1 is caught in a rundown or tagged out. With F9's throw going to 2B, it is very apparent R1 was not "being played upon" at the time of the obstruction. Are we not killing the defense's opportunity to retire BR, which had nothing to do with obstruction? (No pity for the defense, they are guilty of obstruction and no quarter given to the crimminal) Aren't we killing BR's attempt to advance (although we may award 2B to BR)? (Yes, but we award R1 third, and maybe BR second, but I doubt it)

I seem confused about a Type B mechanic here as it seems contradictory to allowing the play to continue until "all play has ceased and no further action is possible." Are we to kill the ball when a play is eventually made upon a Type B obstructed runner and he is out (Yes) or in a rundown (No)---or are we to "allow all play to cease"? If so, is this by rule, or by CSFP? (By rule) While I don't mind using CSFP in lieu of rule, I like to know when I am doing that.

I think I truly need help in understanding the prescribed mechanic vs. a CSFP mechanic recommended to avoid a 3rd world play.

Freix [/B]